Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST FFRAID'S CHURCH, LLANSANFFRAID GLAN CONWY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12501

Cyfeirnod Map SH87NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH8039776099

Awdurdod Lleol Conwy 

Hen Sir Dinbych

Cymuned Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Ffraid's church is situated on the north side of Church STreet in a sub-rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery. The present church replaced an earlier Perpendicular double-naved one, reputedly on a fifth-century foundation, which was entirely taken down and rebuilt in Romanesque style to designs of John Welch in the period 1839-41. It is constructed of rubble stone under a low-pitched slate roof, and consists of nave and chancel with two small towers on the west gable separated by the porch. On the long wall is a gabled extension (?vestry). It is lit through lancet windows chamfered to just short of the springing. The interior is broad and aisleless. A restoration of 1907-8 by Hoare & Wheeler saw the removal of a west gallery, and the font - claimed to be seventeenth century - recut and carved. Two small lancets have fifteenth-century century glass, probably preserved from the earlier church. There is also stained glass by Clutterbuck (1846) and Edward Voore (1943).
Sources:
DE/Ecclesiastical/SH77SE.
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.239.
Google Street View, June 2011.

David Leighton & Chris Nicholas, 2 October 2015

Chofnodion Archifol