Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

MAIL COACH MONUMENT PILLAR, A40, CWM GOLEU, EAST OF LLANDOVERY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23522

Cyfeirnod Map SN83SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN8021334926

Awdurdod Lleol Sir Gaerfyrddin

Hen Sir Caerfyrddin

Cymuned Llandovery

Math o Safle COFADAIL COFFA

Dosbarth Cyffredinol COFFA

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Mail Coach Pillar is a stone obelisk erected beside what is now the A40 road (nprn 419867) in 1841. Its purpose was to warn coachmen against drunkenness and to commemorate the mail coach accident on 19 December 1835 when the mail coach plunged over the edge of the road (prior to its realignment, see nprn 96197) due to the drunkenness of the driver. There were no fatalities. The monument was erected and designed, according to the inscription, by J. Bull, inspector of mail coaches, and made by John Jones of Llanddarog. Square in plan, it comprises an inscribed rectangular section on a base, a projecting plain string course above, surmounted by a gently tapering section with a pyramid top.
On 6 May 2008, about a metre of the tapering top section of the monument was noted as broken off and loose stone lying around the base.
RCAHMW, 20 May 2008.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig