Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

WRECK OF ALBION, ALBION SANDS

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 272842

Cyfeirnod Map SM70NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SM7695107576

Awdurdod Lleol Arforol

Hen Sir Arforol

Cymuned Maritime

Math o Safle LLONGDDRYLLIAD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ARFOROL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The wreck of this paddle steamer was broken up where it was run ashore. At very low tides, two iron shafts can be seen protruding above the beach which is now called Albion Sands.

Event and Historical Information:
The ALBION was a wooden paddlesteamer built at Bristol in 1831 by General S P Company (the builder's certificate on registry is dated 28 September 1831). The original subscribing owners to the ship's Bristol registry include Daniel Stanton (8 shares), John Gilmore (3 shares) and George Lunel (4 shares). The remaining 49 shares were spread amongst 14 individuals and two companies - Parsons, Harle and Company (6 shares) and the Bristol Steam Packet Co (5 shares). Between 1831 and 1836 and great many of the individually owned shares were transferred to a new joint stock company, the Bristol General Steam Navigation Company. Technical and configuration specifications are give as 270 tons, length 150ft 9in, breath above the wales 25ft 2in, height between decks 6ft 6in , 2 decks, 2 masts, schooner rigged (propelled by steam), square stern, quarter galleries, and a female figurehead. The vessel was launched on 9 July 1831 amongst much celebration, and became known for its fast sailings across the Irish Sea between Bristol and Cork. In 1835, the ALBION underwent a thorough re-fit which included two new boilers. In September 1836, the paddle steamer equalled the record for the Dublin to Bristol run of 21.5 hours. On 19 April 1837, the paddle steamer was returning from Ireland, when Captain Bailey was forced to change course in Jack Sound to avoid running down a rowing boat with four men on board. The force of the tide prevented the paddle steamer from responding quickly to the helm and the ALBION struck a rock at around 3pm and was forced over onto her beam ends. The paddles kept turning and the vessel got off the rock and righted itself. However, the damage sustained forced the captain to run for the shore at Marloes. The passengers, some 180 of the 400 pigs the vessel was carrying, five horses, and majority of the luggage and moveable goods were saved, along with a quantity of sprits and porter. One of the owner's attended the scene which allowed much of the salvaged materials to be sold from beach and the vessel was broken up for scrap. The vessel had cost £20,000 to build and was only insured for £5,000.

Sources include:
Bennett, T, 1987, Shipwrecks around Wales Vol 1, pg15-6
Harris, G. 1993, Early Bristol Paddle-steamer Shipwrecks, pg45-52
Jessop, C. 2017. Disastrous shortcut through Jack Sound [wreck of the Albion], Pembrokeshire Life April 2017, 11-13
Goodard, T, 1983, Pembrokeshire Shipwrecks, pg75
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Port of Bristol Shipping Register 1830 - 1835, folio 49, Bristol Record Office 37908/1/4

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, August 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol