Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

Some map tiles and images are currently unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

FERGA

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 274835

Cyfeirnod Map SN19SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SN1033393209

Awdurdod Lleol Arforol

Hen Sir Arforol

Cymuned Maritime

Math o Safle LLONGDDRYLLIAD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol ARFOROL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Archaeological remains associated with the loss of this vessel are not confirmed as present at this location, but may possibly be in the vicinity (see also UNNAMED WRECK, NPRN 240639).

Event and Historical Information:
The FERGA was a steel-hulled steamship was built by Dublin Dockyard Co Ltd in 1916. Technical and configuration specifications are given as 791gt; 197ft length x 30ft 5in breadth x 14ft 8in depth; machinery aft; 1 deck, 5 bulkheads, quarterdeck 119ft, boat deck 9ft, forecastle 29ft; screw propulsion powered by a single steam boiler linked to a triple expansion engine made by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow; official number 139593. At time of loss, the vessel was owned by Michael Murphy Ltd, Dublin and registered at Cardiff (12 in 1916). The ship was on passage from Swansea to Liverpool on 14 February 1917, when it was captured by German submarine UC-65. The crew were forced to abandon ship after which the FERGA was sunk by gunfire.

Sources include:
Gater, D, 1992, Historic Shipwrecks of Wales, pg130
HMSO, 1988, British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-18 and 1939-45, pg33
Larn and Larn Shipwreck Database 2002
Port of Cardiff Shipping Register 1916-1920, Glamorgan Archives, folio 1

Maritime Officer, RCAHMW, January 2011.