Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301421

Cyfeirnod Map SO14SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO10774151

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Brycheiniog

Cymuned Erwood

Math o Safle ADEILAD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DOMESTIG

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol, Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Hafodygarreg is a stone-built, 2-storey 17th-19th century farmhouse of three units, with a surviving medieval cruck truss to a former hall-house with single-bay hall. This cruck spere-truss partition has elaborate cusped braces to king-stud between cranked collar and tie-beam.

18th/19th century stone-built farm buildings consist of a parrallel barn range and detached cowhouse range at the lower end forming a 'U' shaped group with the house.
GA Ward, 05/01/2001.

[Additional:] Tree-ring dating commissioned by RCAHMW. Felling date of Summer 1402 for the surviving cruck reported in 'Vernacular Architecture', vol. 35 (2004), p. 110. Hafodygarreg is the earliest precisely-dated house in Wales. (R. F. Suggett/RCAHMW/2005)

Featured as 'the oldest house in Wales' in the series Discovering Welsh Houses filmed by Alfresco and shown on BBC TV Winter 2005. (R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/Jan. 2006)

ERWOOD, Hafodygarreg (SO 107 415),
Hafodygarreg has the earliest known cruck-truss in Wales with a felling date of summer 1402 (VA 35 (2004), 110).
The open-hall house developed into a stone-walled storeyed house of hearth-passage type with fireplace inserted
against the surviving cruck-truss and a fi replace stair giving access to a new upper storey. Further tree-ring dating shows that the hall ceiling and fireplace were inserted in the mid-1570s. A precise felling date of Winter 1574/5 was obtained.
Dating reported in Vernacular Architecture, Vol. 41 (2010), pp. 113-14. R. F. Suggett/RCAHMW/October 2010.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein