Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

MELINGRIFFITH TIN PLATE WORKS

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 40456

Cyfeirnod Map ST18SW

Cyfeirnod Grid ST14278015

Awdurdod Lleol Caerdydd

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Whitchurch

Math o Safle GWAITH TUNPLAT

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DIWYDIANNOL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle There are some surviving elements, including a water wheel and pump, of the once extensive industrial complex at the Melingrifiith Tinplate Works. Although the surviving buildings date largely from the nineteenth century, the original works were developed from an iron forge established about 1749 on the site of a medieval mill. It is believed that the water supply from the Taff was usedfor both the medieval and post-medieval mills.

The tinplate works were supplied with iron sheets from Pentyrch Ironworks (NPRNs 34111 and 34112), carried on the Melingriffith and Pentyrch Railway (NPRN 91548). An early nineteenth century lodge house stands at the entrance to the works by a brick-arched stone bridge (NPRN 91457) over the Glamorganshire Canal (NPRN 34425).

2. Melingriffith tinplate works - site now cleared; water wheel and pump (nprn 34441) close to the site. OS report of 1982 unchanged. New housing estates are under construction to the immediate N, S and E of the site which is protected by a wire fence.
Site visited D.K.Leighton, RCAHMW, 15.6.1989.

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig