Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ALEXANDRA QUARRY;CORS Y BRYNIAU QUARRY

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 40528

Cyfeirnod Map SH55NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH51955627

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Betws Garmon

Math o Safle CHWAREL

Dosbarth Cyffredinol DIWYDIANNOL

Cyfnod 20fed Ganrif, 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Alexandra Quarry is located on the east side of Moel Tryfan, to the south-east of Rhosgadfan. It was opened in about 1862 and at its peak produced 6000 tons per year employing more than 200 men. The quarry was a substantial open pit working with steam-powered mills etc. and an extensive locomotive worked internal tramroad system. It was apparently worked with Moel Tryfan to the south-west (NPRN 40560) from 1918. It worked only sporadically after the First World War. Although it closed in the late 1930s, when the Moel Tryfan workings broke through it was used as a source by that quarry until the mid-1960s, all reduction taking place in their mill. In its final days all transport was done by lorry. Its development is variously depicted on Ordnance Survey County series maps (Caernarvon. XXI.2 1889, 1900, 1915). A detached portion of the quarry lies to the west (NPRN 400656).
Due to bulk working the site is much disturbed. Apart from the pits there are substantial remains (in 1991) of the mills and other structures including possible Blondin bases. A most notable feature is the tramroad formation.

sources:
A.J.Richards, A Gazeteer of the Welsh Slate Industry (1991), p.85-6.
Lindsay 1974 (Hist. N Wales Slate Id.), p.310.

David Leighton & J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 12 January 2015

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig