Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST TUDWG'S CHURCH, TYTHEGSTON

Manylion y Safle



NPRN 408770

Cyfeirnod Map SS87NE

Cyfeirnod Grid SS85777882

Awdurdod Lleol Pen-y-bont

Hen Sir Morgannwg

Cymuned Merthyr Mawr

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod Canoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Church of St Tydwg was first mentioned in 1173 when it was a chapel of Tewkesbury Abbey but an early Christian monument in the churchyard and the dedication to a Celtic saint suggest an earlier foundation. The present building is late medieval in origin but was almost completely rebuilt by John Prichard in 1876. The Church became redundant in the late C20.

Built with battered rubble stone walls, coped gables and a slate roof, it is a Tudor-Gothic style church consisting of a nave with a bellcote a South porch, and a lower chancel. The porch has a plain two-centred doorway and inside the porch is a pointed arched-brace roof and a South door similar to the West and priest's door. The chancel has two 2-light South windows, a central late-medieval priest's door with a 2-centred head and a stop-chamfer surround, as well as a boarded door with decorative strap hinges. The East window has a renewed 3-light Perpendicular window. The West wall of the nave has a late-medieval doorway similar to but wider than priest's door and above is a late-medieval 2-light window with ogee-headed lights. The gabled bellcote has a single segmental-pointed opening containing a single bell of late C14 or early C15 date.

Inside the Church, the chancel arch is late-medieval and Tudor-headed but the remainder of the interior is C19.

It is listed as a small parish church with medieval origins, retaining good C19 detail. The Cross in the churchyard is Scheduled Ancient Monument GM 214.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 03/03/2009

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol