Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

ST SEIRIOL'S CHURCH, HOLYHEAD

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 43644

Cyfeirnod Map SH28SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH2441482661

Awdurdod Lleol Ynys Mon

Hen Sir Môn

Cymuned Holyhead

Math o Safle EGLWYS

Cyfnod 19eg Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle St Seiriol's church was located within an irregular-shaped churchyard on the north-east side of Thomas Street, on the west side of Holyhead. It was built in 1853-4 to designs of Charles Verelst, architect, of Liverpool. Images taken before its demolition suggest its plan comprised nave, apsidal chancel, a lean-to along the south lateral wall with gabled porch, and an imposing tower on the west.
The spire once dominated the skyline of Holyhead but the church was found to be structurally unsafe in the 1980s, fund-raising efforts for repairs failed, and it was finally demolished in 1992. The churchyard cemetery survives.

Sources:
http://www.anglesey.info/holyhead-st-seiriols-church.htm
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:St_Seiriol's_Church_Holyhead_1853.jpg
Detailed plan available (churchplansonline.org)

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 11 November 2014

Chofnodion Archifol