Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

PLOUGH WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL AND UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, LION STREET, BRECON

Manylion y Safle



NPRN 6002

Cyfeirnod Map SO02NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SO04642850

Awdurdod Lleol Powys 

Hen Sir Brycheiniog

Cymuned Brecon

Math o Safle CAPEL

Cyfnod Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The Plough Chapel, Brecon, formerly the Welsh Congregational Chapel, had one of the earliest independent chapel congregations in mid-Wales, dating back to 1699, and taking its name from the house in which early meetings took place. The chapel occupies a town centre site with coloured flagstone forecourt and low wall fronting Lion St. The original chapel foundations on this site date from the late 17th century. The existing chapel was built in 1841 in classical style, on the former chapel garden. Major rebuilding work was undertaken in 1892 by Benjamin Jenkins, local builder. The chapel has a rectangular plan and a triple gable slate roof with ridge tiles - re-roofed 1980s. There is a pedimented porch with two flanking bays added in 1892 as part of a rebuild; to the design of architect Owen Morris Roberts. The entrance is supported by a single cast-iron column and two engaged columns merging with front walls of porch, with decorative wrought ironwork. A balcony round all four sides of chapel is supported on fluted iron columns; the balcony frontal has arcading with floral relief decoration. There are arched panels flanked by ebonised columns and a clock and large pipe organ. There is a high stone wall forming the rear boundary of the chapel which reputedly follows the line of the old medieval town wall.

Sorces: CADW listed buildings database; Hughes, T. J.; Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.

RCAHMW, 9 November 2007.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol