Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

CAPEL NEWYDD WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, NANHORON, GWINLLAN

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 6974

Cyfeirnod Map SH23SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH2858230919

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Llanengan

Math o Safle CAPEL

Cyfnod 18fed Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The community of Capel Newydd was founded in 1740, and the chapel built in 1770-2. Alterations were carried out in the early nineteenth century, and there was a further restoration in 1956-8 by T. Alwyn Lloyd and Alex Gordon of Cardiff and M.T. Pritchard of Bangor. The chapel is probably the earliest surviving nonconformist chapel in north Wales with one of the very few surviving early chapel interiors. It is earth floored with box pews in a long barn-like space, with whitewashed low plastered walls and an open roof of five pine pegged collar trusses. The pews are arranged in two rows with an axial passage. One of the box pews is for Catherine, the wife of Timothy Edwards of Nanhoron. The pulpit is plain and square with curved angles. The chapel is built of rubble stone with a steep roof of small slates with stone gable copings.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Adnoddau Ar-lein