Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod


Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 96380

Cyfeirnod Map SH57SE

Cyfeirnod Grid SH5791572119

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Bangor

Math o Safle COFEB RYFEL

Dosbarth Cyffredinol COFFA

Cyfnod 20fed Ganrif

Disgrifiad o´r Safle A First World War memorial dated 1923 and designed by the architect D Wynne Thomas. The assessors of the competition were Lord Plymouth and Sir Aston Webb, and the rules stated that the Memorial must be in the form of a building with sculpture as a feature. It was opened by Edward, Prince of Wales on November 1st 1923.

A memorial comprised of a Tudor style, 2-storey gateway constructed of ashlar masonry. It has a crenellated parapet, a cornice, a panelled band at 1st floor level with sunken shields, and a plinth. To the right is a taller, octagonal, stair tower with arched headed lights. There is a mullioned and transomed oriel window with leaded panes, and the section of cornice over this has carved bosses (those to either side are uncarved) while there is a panelled apron below with a Welsh inscription. Slightly set back is a 4-centred arched, central entrance with foliage carved spandrels and a dragon stopped label. Within the arch are timber gates, and there are paired windows to either side.

The rear (N) side is similar with the panelled band continued around the left side. This side has an advanced centre and a 2-light, mullion and transom window under a Tudor style label.

There are 2-stop chamfered beams with stone corbels in the passageway. To the left is a porters door and a window, and there is a similar door to right with a coat of arms.

The foundation stone is inscribed with the architect's name and the inscribed plaque states that it was erected " .......... in memory of the men of North Wales who fell in the Great War 1914-18".
(Source; Cadw listing database)
S Fielding RCAHMW 16/10/2006

The rectangular upper room reached by stone staircase has all round wood carved panels listing the 8,500 named by Parish. Double bronze doors with coats of arms and panelled ceiling with broad ribs.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol