Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, LLANYBYDDER

Site Details



NPRN 100720

Map Reference SN54SW

Grid Reference SN5188443937

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanybydder

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Peter's Church is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, bounded by a road on its north-eastern side. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Stradtowy. The advowson is thought to have been in royal hands, but in 1362 was granted to Carmarthen Priory by Edward, Prince of Wales (the Black Prince). At that time there was a subordinate chapel at Abergorlech. At the dissolution the advowson fell to the Crown, in whose patronage it remained in 1833. In 1998 St Peter's was a parish church, and the living a vicarage held with Llanllwni and Llanwenog.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of thrre-bayed nave, three-bayed chancel, four-storeyed west tower, south porch, transeptal vestry (north of chancel west bay) and coalhouse (west of vestry). The nave and chancel are thought to be fourteenth century in date. The nave west bay is thought to have been added to the nave in the sixteenth century, at the time the tower was built. The church was repaired or restored shortly before 1833. In 1884 the church comprised chancel, nave and tower, with the main entrance being through the tower. The chancel south door had a low-pitch gabled porch at that time, and there was a medieval window in the nave north wall. The font was noted to be broken and lying on the floor, having been replace by a stoup. The church was restored in 1884-1885, to the designs of J. Middleton, Cheltenham. The chancel door was blocked and its porch removed, and the south door and porch were added. The vestry was added and the church was refenestrated, reroofed and refloored. The coalhouse added in the earlier twentieth century, and the tower reroofed with a concrete and filler beam flat roof at around that time. The octagonal font dates to 1933. The roofs were reslated in 1990.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Carmarthenshire Churches, gazetteer, 48

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 16 May 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records