Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ROCH CASTLE

Site Details



NPRN 102780

Map Reference SM82SE

Grid Reference SM88032121

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Nolton and Roch

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description Roch Castle was first built circa 1200 by Adam de Rupe or de la Roche, founder of Pill Priory, Milford. The present castle has been dated by G.T. Clark to circa 1270. Though built for defence, it appears to have been adapted to habitation with freestone windows and fireplaces. The de la Roche estates were broken up in the fifteenth century and the castle was then ruinous. It was garrisoned for the royal cause during the Civil War and beseiged in 1644. From 1901-4 it was restored and made habitable for Sir J. Wynford Philipps Bt of Picton, later Viscount St Davids, to the designs of D.E. Thomas of Haverfordwest. Further works were carried out in 1910 and circa 1918-20, the latter by D.F. Ingleton.

The castle has a 'D' shaped plan and is a tall single structure with projecting chambers and stands on an isolated rock outcrop surrounded by a mosted enclosure.

RCAHMW, 17 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources