OLD RECTORY;PELE TOWER;TOWER, REMAINS OF MOATED MANSION

Site Details



NPRN
103062
Map Reference
SM80SE
Grid Reference
SM8660702994
Unitary (Local) Authority
Pembrokeshire
Old County
Pembrokeshire
Community
Angle
Type of Site
FORTIFIED HOUSE
Broad Class
Defence;Domestic
Period
Medieval

Site Description


NAR SM80SE11

A substantially complete three (?) storey tower, some 4.5m square and 9.1m high, remains of what is thought to have been a medieval moated mansion, traditionally identified as a 'fortified rectory', set immediately above a tidal inlet, facing the parish church & Sailor's xchapel (Nprn103065; 308966): the tower stood at the south-western angle of what appears to have been a rectangular enclosure, in the region of 24-32m across; OS County series (Pembroke. XXXVIII.8 1864) showing a pond set along its northern side, with the remains of a second, similar tower having been noted at the north-eastern angle; the Old Rectory (Nprn22500) occupies the interior: the tower retains the massive corbels that supported wall-top machiculations, has a rounded stair turret a one angle and a first floor entrance: the remains of a dovecote stand some 50m to the north (Nprn22517).

A possible inhabitant is Edward de Shirburn 'of Nangle', who dedicated the mortuary chapel of St Anthony at Angle.

J.Wiles 24.03.05

    Share this page: -