OLD RECTORY;PELE TOWER;TOWER, REMAINS OF MOATED MANSION
Map Reference SM80SE
Grid Reference SM8660702994
Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire
Old County Pembrokeshire
Type of Site FORTIFIED HOUSE
Broad Class DEFENCE, DOMESTIC
Site Description NAR SM80SE11
A substantially complete three (?) storey tower, some 4.5m square and 9.1m high, remains of what is thought to have been a medieval moated mansion, traditionally identified as a 'fortified rectory', set immediately above a tidal inlet, facing the parish church & Sailor's xchapel (Nprn103065; 308966): the tower stood at the south-western angle of what appears to have been a rectangular enclosure, in the region of 24-32m across; OS County series (Pembroke. XXXVIII.8 1864) showing a pond set along its northern side, with the remains of a second, similar tower having been noted at the north-eastern angle; the Old Rectory (Nprn22500) occupies the interior: the tower retains the massive corbels that supported wall-top machiculations, has a rounded stair turret a one angle and a first floor entrance: the remains of a dovecote stand some 50m to the north (Nprn22517).
A possible inhabitant is Edward de Shirburn 'of Nangle', who dedicated the mortuary chapel of St Anthony at Angle.