ST MARY'S CHURCH, TENBY;CHURCH OF ST MARY IN LIBERTY
Map Reference SN10SW
Grid Reference SN1342400447
Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire
Old County Pembrokeshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY
Period Post Medieval, Medieval
Site Description St Mary's church, Tenby is mostly 15th century, but with some 13th century remains of an earlier church. Major restoration work was undertaken between 1855-69, and there were further 19th-20th century alterations. The church is of rubble stone construction with 19th century ashlar tracery and slate roofs. It consists of an aisled nave and chancel, north and south porches and a tower with a broach spire. The interior has whitewashed plastered walls with ashlar dressings. The nave and chancel both have fine 15th century roofs, the chancel roof of 15 x 6 panels is on 16 painted timber angel supporters with shields, each side, on stone 5-sided corbels. The church houses a number of exceptional 15th-19th century monuments including one to Margaret wife of Thomas ap Rees of Scotsborough (d 1610) and a 17th century memorial with recumbent figure of a wife below the kneeling figure of husband at prie-dieu, in armour. There are several tomb chests, including one which has small figures of 7 children; an ashlar tomb chest to Bishop Robert Tully of St Davids (d 1482) with marks of a lost brass effigy and canopy, and others of Thomas White (d 1482) and his son John (d c1507), both finely carved figures in contemporary dress, and an effigy of a cadaver of a priest. Fittings include a 15th century font and a further19th century late Gothic font, a 17th century pulpit and ornate 20th century oak stalls.
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database; T.J. Hughes, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches, 2006.
RCAHMW, 13th November 2007.