Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 103762

Map Reference SN11SE

Grid Reference SN15521444

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Lampeter Velfrey

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Early Medieval, Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St Peter’s Church stands within a curvilinear churchyard which is raised above its surroundings and may constitute a former Iron Age enclosure, or possibly a Bronze Age round barrow. The site may be early medieval in origin. The church was first mentioned in the Taxation of 1291. A post-Conquest churchyard cross stands in the southern part of the churchyard. The parish may have had two former chapelries. The church is some 100m south of Castell medieval motte (NPRN 304253) and the two would have been contemporary.The church was a parish church during the post-Conquest period, belonging to the Deanery of Carmarthen. The church was in the patronage of the lord of the manor of Velfry(Narberth).

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of 5-bayed nave/chancel, 5-bayed south aisle, north transept and south porch and west bellcote. The square font bowl and stem date from around 1200. The nave/chancel is thought to be 13th century in date. The south aisle is thought to date to the 14th century. The north transept may date to the 16th–17th century. The north wall of the nave/chancel east bay has a two blocked openings probably dating to the 14th century: a cusped, 2-light window and a single light opening with square surround. The arcade of plain, 2-centred arches between nave/chancel and south aisle dates to the 14th century, but was altered in the 1860s. A large, Jacobian table tomb in the south aisle dates to the early 17th century. The church was restored in 1837, when the south door may have been rebuilt and new windows with square, timber frames were inserted. The door openings are also thought to have been rebuilt. There was a western gallery at this time. The organ dates to 1853. The church was again restored in 1860–1867. The south porch was rebuilt at this time and the gallery removed. The church was reseated, reroofed and refloored.

Sources include:
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic Churches Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 13 December 2017

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites