Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ALL SAINTS CHURCH, LLANELLI

Site Details



NPRN 104674

Map Reference SN50SW

Grid Reference SN5053700708

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description All Saints Church is situated on the north side of Goring Road (A484) within a rectilinear churchyard. It is located some 90m south of the old Vicarage (NPRN 125417). The two are contemporary, and were built by G.E. Street of London. All Saints was consecrated on 22nd September 1874. It was enlarged in 1887 to 1888.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of brown rock-faced snecked rubble with Bath stone dressings, green slate roofs and terracotta ridges. The site is sloping, meaning that the building’s west end is raised over an extensive crypt. It consists of nave with aisles, chancel, transepts south-east tower over organ chamber and north-east vestries. North-west stairs lead down to the crypt. The nave has five bays, with coped gables, and projecting coped transept gables in fifth bay. There are four small pairs of clerestory lights, and lean-to aisles with three-light pain plate-traceried windows. The porch is located in the first bay of south aisle. The north Lady Chapel has a north door into the vestry, a window in its east wall and a fireplace in its south wall. The tower is incomplete, with its south elevation framed by buttresses. The right buttress includes a rounded stair tower. The door to the ground floor is pointed, as is the long central window. There are two small louvered vents near the tower’s truncated top, which has shallow pyramid roof. The reredos dates to 1879, and is heavily carved, with a stone high-relief Crucifixion panel with traceried canopies and stiff-leaf carved border. Lower flanking panels each have two carved relief angels in quatrefoils. Either side on the east wall is intersecting arcading with Purbeck marble shafts and embossed glazed tiles. The font is marble with a wrought iron cover.

The building closed in March 2011 due to electrical problems.

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 12 September 2012

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites