Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST TYGWYDD'S CHURCH, LLANDYGWYDD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 105194

Map Reference SN24SW

Grid Reference SN24264379

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Beulah

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Redundant church of 1857 by R J Withers, spire lost 1914, tower lost 1981. Notes from Victorian Society handout (J Orbach, 27/06/1998). PI.

Spire removed by W.D. Caroe in 1914.
Pwntan sandstone with Bath stone dressings and steep slate roofs. Nave and chancel, S porch, N vestry/organ chamber. Lancet windows, high plinth, coped gables and cross finials. Nave has plain flush lancets, two to W with cinqufoil roundel.
Two step low clasping buttresses at W end, and two buttresses to N side. Porch has steep gable roof, low side buttress, slate steps up snd pointed arch entry with hoodmould and carved headstops.

Well-proportioned interior with rafter roofs, straight-braced to nave, arch braced to chancel and whitewashed walls, text painted under wallplate. C15th octagonal font with varied fleurons each face and small fleurons in base mould. Ornate 1874 pulpit and reredos by J. Middleton of Cheltenham.

Refs: "Building News"; 01/08/1862 illustrated new church with spire and previous church.
"Carmarthen Journal" 10/07/1857
"Builder 31/10/1857; 29/05/1914; 04/08/1893
"Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser" 21/04/1871;27/02/1874; 04/08/1893; 29/05/1914; 05/06/1914.
Victoria & Albert Museum - Powell & Sons Order Book pp365, 372.
NLW SD/F/287 (1929 faculty for window)
Transactions of Cardiganshire Antiquarian Society 2 1929, p.19 (font)
Cardigan & Lower Teifi Valley in Old Photographs 1989 p.120

(Based on Cadw listing description 14/11/2003 KAA)

The entry for St Tygwydd's Church is incorrect. The church was actually demolished in 2000 and only the outline remains. The former infants' schoolroom by R J Withers NPRN 418076 is now used as the church, still dedicated to St Tygwydd with stained glass from the old church now installed. A second schoolroom (1846) by Charles Davies stands to the south and is now used as the church hall. Details are included in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion by Lloyd, Orbach and Scourfield.
Notes by Geoff Davies 2017

Digital Images

Archive Records