Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PANT CHAPEL SOCIETY OF FRIENDS, LLANFIHANGEL-YSTERN-LLEWERN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 10683

Map Reference SO41SW

Grid Reference SO42351405

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Llantilio Crossenny

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Pant Quaker Chapel was built during the seventeenth century as part of a sixteenth century cruck framed hall-house. The early Welsh Quaker, Walter Jenkins (son of Thomas Jenkins, squire and rector of Llanvihangel-Ystern-Llewern), was born at the Pant. The passing of the Conventicle Act in 1592 had made clandestine religious meetings illegal. The Quakers, in common with other dissenters, were forced to meet in secret in private houses and it is very likely the Pant was used for Quaker meetings. Quaker services continued here untill the late eighteenth century. Later the house was owned by the historian and antiquary Sir Joseph Bradney, author of the celebrated nine part ‘History of Monmouthshire'. In 1952 the meeting House was in use as a granary. Pant is now Grade 2* Listed for its special interest as a remarkably unaltered late medieval hall-house with an attached seventeenth century Quaker Meeting House, retaining original detail of remarkably high quality and the original plan form.

RCAHMW, September 2010