Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, ST MARY'S ST, MONMOUTH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 10899

Map Reference SO51SW

Grid Reference SO5094112888

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Monmouth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1792-1870. One of the earliest Roman Catholic churches to be built in Britain after such buildings were first legally permitted, and the oldest church in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cardiff. Established by a former landlord of The Robin Hood Inn (qv), it was originally a small room hidden behind cottages. These were demolished in 1870 and the church extended in the Gothic style which was then popular.

The front elevation is of stone with a prominent central, tall, hipped roofed, Italian style, campanile containing two bells. The interior contains an interesting font with a serpent in alabaster, and also relics of Father Kemble of Welsh Newton who was executed at Hereford in 1679. Medieval crosses and vestments.

Archive Records

Associated Sites