Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TABERNACL WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL:TABERNACLE, PARK STREET, UPPER FISHGUARD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 10935

Map Reference SM93NE

Grid Reference SM9591636891

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Fishguard and Goodwick

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Tabernacl Independent Chapel was first built in 1796 and rebuilt in 1845. The present chapel, dated 1845, is built in the Sub-Classical style with a gable-entry plan, half-hipped roof, two storeys and flat-headed windows surmounted by blind fan-heads to both storeys. The central door with is fanlight over, has a gabled surround housing a datestone inscribed 'Tabernacle Independant Chapel 1845'. The interior howver dates from a complete refurbishment started in 1925, but due to the first world war not completed until 1924. The gallery front is ornatly decorated with Neo-18th century detail, fashioned both from hardwoood and plaster of paris moulded to match the more expensive material. The pulpit is a half round projection on a semi-octagonal base, detailed with columns and classical motifs and accessed by stairs to either side.The later work on 1924 included the insertion of the pipe organ to the rear of the pulpit. Tabernacl is now Grade 2 Listed for its distinctive richly ornamented interior.

RCAHMW, October 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records