Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

DRYSLWYN MEDIEVAL BOROUGH

Site Details



NPRN 109584

Map Reference SN53SE

Grid Reference SN5542030370

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llangathen

Type of Site TOWN

Broad Class CIVIL

Period Medieval

Site Description The shattered ruins of a castle and the earthworks of a walled borough crown the upper slopes of a dramatically isolated and abrupt hill rising from the Tywi floodplain. Roman material recovered from the hill hints at the existence of an earlier settlement.The castle (NPRN100682) was established in the earlier thirteenth century and the borough received its charter in 1281. By the mid fourteenth century there were thirty-four burgages within the walls and fourteenth in 'Briggestrete' without. A burgage was a houseplot with certain rights and duties attached. The borough had been abandoned by the seventeenth century.
The borough was enclosed by strong ramparts and a stone wall, now buried in the earthworks that girdle the summit. There were two gates. Inside, building platforms and street lines can be discerned.

Source: Rees & Caple CADW Guide to Dinefwr Castle & Dryslwyn Castle, revised edition (2007)

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 6 December 2007

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites