Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAERFARCHELL CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, CAERFARCHELL

Site Details



NPRN 11216

Map Reference SM72NE

Grid Reference SM79452700

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community St Davids and the Cathedral Close

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 18th Century

Site Description Caerfarchell Calvinist Methodist Society dates from c.1737, although the first Caerfarchell chapel does not appear to have been built until 1763. Recorded as a building 45ft by 15ft in plan, it was replaced by the current chapel in 1827. Of the long-wall entry type with a hipped roof, it has a simple facade with double lateral access with central round-headed windows facing and is divided from the road by a courtyard entered by ashlar cut gateposts of purple stone topped with egg finials. The interior essentially dates from the 1827 rebuilding, the gallery is supported on slender pillars and the pulpit is placed against the front wall. A local tradition has it that a horses skull was placed within the wall at each of the four corners of the building, in order to combat the problem of echo in the earlier building.The upstairs seating of simple backed forms is thought to have been reused from the earliest chapel, while downstairs, the pews were replaced with the current pitch pine pews in 1912. In 1928 the land on which the 1763 chapel was built, was re-purchased in order to build the schoolroom. Caerfarchell is now Grade 2* Listed.

The Trust deed for the chapel, dated 29th January 1766, 'The deed to establish the Trustees of Caerfarchell' including the signatures of Peter Williams and Elisabeth, Phoebe and Mary Williams, is archived in the National Library of Wales.

RCAHMW, August 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records