Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PENTRE LLIFIOR ENGLISH WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 11230

Map Reference SO19NW

Grid Reference SO1471197780

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Berriew

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Pentre Llifior is an elegant red-brick Georgian chapel built in 1798 with a classically-derived proportion. It is the oldest surviving Wesleyan chapel in Wales. The chapel has round-arched window openings containing interlacing tracery, the two roadside windows with shutters, and flanking a recent circular plaque. There is a lean-to twentieth century brick porch in contrasting proportion and style against a gable facade. The Georgian interior has been preserved including rows of box pews with enamelled numbering and a gallery supported by two slim columns extending along the back wall. Pentre llifior is now Grade 2 Listed as a good example of a Wesleyan chapel with its original nineteenth century fittings.

RCAHMW, November 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records