Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHEL CHAPEL HALL, LLANIDLOES

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 11392

Map Reference SN98SE

Grid Reference SN9554784537

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanidloes

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Bethel Chapel Hall, next door to the chapel itself (NPRN 11391), was first built in 1770, and enlarged in 1804, but this initial building was subsequently demolished and replaced with the building visible today in 1821. This hall was designed by architect Thomas Hughes of Liverpool, in the Classical style with a gable entry plan. It is built in red brick with yellow brick quoins, while the remaining walls are rendered and partially slate-hung. The pitched roof is also of slate. The front gable wall has a central two-light window with rectangular lights, above which is a moulded pediment inscribed ‘Bethel Hall’. Above are two occuli lights, between which there is a projecting brick chimney. The hall ceased to be used by Bethel Chapel early in the twentieth century and has since been converted into an ironmongery.

RCAHMW, 2 November 2010

Archive Records

Associated Sites