Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHURCHSTOKE ENGLISH METHODIST CHURCH

Site Details



NPRN 11512

Map Reference SO29SE

Grid Reference SO2686794063

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Churchstoke

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Churchstoke English Methodist Chapel was built in 1879 in the Gothic style with a gable entry plan. It is constructed in polychromatic brick with a slate roof. The roof has bands of plain slates alternating with bands of shaped slates and a truncated ridge vent. The walls are predominantly red brick with yellow and red-brick quoins, with yellow-brick dressings and voussoirs and ashlar dressings. The window frames in the front facade are also in ashlar. The main entrance gable facade has an ashlar-framed "rose" window in a spherical arch with buff-brick voussoirs. The red-brick lean-to centre porch has a pointed window in each side wall. There is a plaque inscribed "Methodist Church erected 1879". A much lower semi-polygonal red-brick vestry is attached to the rear gable. The narrow forecourt strip is enclosed by later red-brick walls.

RCAHMW, January 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records