Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CONGREGATIONAL MEMORIAL COLLEGE (CAMDEN COURT), CAMDEN ROAD, BRECON

Site Details



NPRN 11550

Map Reference SO02NE

Grid Reference SO05532807

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Brecon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Camden Court was originally opened and built in 1869 as the Congregational Memorial College, in memory of the non-conformist martyrs. The college was designed by architect Thomas Thomas of Landore, in the Tudorbethan style and constructed in in brown stone with bathstone dressings. The symmetrical front has a round, tall (five storey) central tower and stone mullion and transom windows. The college closed in 1959 and the building was subsequently converted into flats. The building is now Grade 2 Listed as a strongly designed college with the added historic interest of non-conformist education in Wales.

RCAHMW, January 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records