Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL ISAF (INDEPENDENT;LOWER CHAPEL), LLECHRYD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 11593

Map Reference SN24SW

Grid Reference SN21664383

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llangoedmor

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Capel Isaf Independent Chapel was built 1709 and rebuilt in 1834. The later chapel was built in the Classical style of the long-wall entry type.

The cause here was started by Mr Charles Price who was subsequently thrown out of the established church at Cardigan with the Act of Uniformity in 1662. The members were taken on by Mr James Davies of Merthyr Church, Carmarthenshire until 1672 when lightening of the restrictiveness on worship allowed them to apply for licences to preach in various houses in the area.

Capel Isaf Independent Chapel was built 1709 on land owned by Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore who granted a 999 year lease. A split was cuased in the church during the 1820s when the Calvinistic independents were shut out of the chapel and it was held by the Arminians and Arians, but it was found that the lease was void and the land and building reverted to the ownership of the Lloyds at Coedmore. Mr Lloyd then gave it to the Calvinistic Independents under a new lease, dated 15th January 1828. At this time there were 45 members, but under the care of Mr Daniel Davies this number had increased to 200 by 1854. During his time the chapel was rebuilt in 1834, and a house nearby was acquired to hold a school.

The later chapel was built of stone with a rendered façade as a long-wall entry type. Constructed in the Classical style, theer are two flat-headed doorways to the outer bays, with stucco surrounds of round arches resting on panelled pilasters. To the centre is a piar of flat-headed windows, similarly adorned, while over the doors are two flat-headed windows at gallery level with plainer, flat-headed surrounds. In the centre is diamond shapled date plaque. To the right is an attached chapel house set at right angles to the chapel, and to the front is an enclosed courtyard.

RCAHMW, February 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records