Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHRIST CHURCH, NORTH ROAD, CAERNARFON

Site Details



NPRN 11901

Map Reference SH46SE

Grid Reference SH4808463128

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Caernarfon

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The former Christ Church is located In a churchyard on the west side of Bangor Street, south of the junction with Balaclava Road. It is a large mid-Victorian church built in geometrical style in 1862-4 to designs of architect Anthony Salvin of London, the drawings for which were produced by Norman Shaw. The contractor was Richard Parry of Menai Bridge and the cost of building was £7610. The spire was added in 1886 by Evan Jones of Groeslon. The church provided English language services in the town but closed for worship in 1982 and has since been converted for leisure use.
It is built of grey Penmaenmawr rubble stone with Bath stone dressings, buttressed, and with a slate roof behind coped gables on moulded kneelers. It consists of a six-bay aisled clerestoried nave, south-east transeptal tower with spire, south-west gabled porch, and a short, lower chancel with a vestry to the north side. The tower is of four stages with an octagonal spire, and a three-stage polygonal stair turret in the south-west angle. Inside, despite conversion, the main architectural features of the original church are still visible. The nave has five-bay arcades with round piers and two-centred arches, the spandrels with blind trefoil roundels. The sixth bay, at the west end, has a two-centred doorway in its north wall, to the north aisle. The nave roof is arch-braced on corbelled shafts, with a single tier of windbraces and a moulded cornice below the clerestorey. The chancel has a four-bay arched-brace roof with two tiers of windbraces. On the south side is a former corbelled balcony. Original furnishings and fittings which have been retained include the seven-bay wrought iron chancel screen (Brunswick Ironworks of Caernarfon, 1928); the polygonal stone pulpit with two tiers of blind Gothic panelling; and stained glass in the north and south windows portraying the four Evangelists (1928-9).
Following closure and conversion the church became, in 1999, the Hwylfan Fun Centre.
Sources:
Cadw listing description.
R.Haslam, J.Orbach & Adam Voelcker, Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd (2009), p.286.

RCAHMW, 16 February 2016

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites