Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SILOAM CHAPEL (WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST;BONTNEWYDD), BONTNEWYDD, Y,

Site Details



NPRN 11905

Map Reference SH45NE

Grid Reference SH48315995

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Bontnewydd

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Siloam Methodist Chapel was built in 1840, rebuilt in 1877, by architect Owen Morris Roberts of Porthmadog, and rebuilt again in 1896. The present chapel, dated 1896, is built in an unusual Baroque/ Classical style, with a gable entry plan, two storeys and a domed frontage with flanking towers. The chapel has leaded round-headed windows and a fine interior with an eighteenth century style plaster ceiling. Siloam is now Grade 2 Listed for its unusual architecture.

RCAHMW, May 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records