Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SALEM WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, HIGH STREET, PORTHMADOG

Site Details



NPRN 11914

Map Reference SH53NE

Grid Reference SH5685838727

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Porthmadog

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Salem Independent Chapel in High Street, Porthmadog, was originally built in 1827, enlarged in 1841, rebuilt in 1860. The present chapel, dated 1860, has a fine (and early) example of a giant arch breaking through the gable pediment - the trademark feature of the important chapel architect Thomas Thomas of Landore. The chapel has three bays, the central one recessed, with a big Florentine window above the balustraded balcony and a Tuscan porch. There are tall round-headed windows in the outer bays, with keystones and impost bands. Giant Tuscan pilasters support the pediment, which rests on a rusticated plinth. salem is now Grade 2 Listed for it's special architectural interest.

RCAHMW, May 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records