Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CYNON'S CHURCH, FAIRBOURNE

Site Details



NPRN 12026

Map Reference SH61SW

Grid Reference SH6179712736

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Arthog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description The church of St Cynon is located on a rock outcrop, Ynys Faig, on the eastern edge of the village. It was opened in July 1927. The architect was John Bernard Mendham (London), who gave his services free of charge (as it was his first commission).
The building's design exhibits gothic influence, especially in the window traceries, but also Arts and Crafts sensibilities in use of materials. It is made of slatey stone with a slate-clad bell-tower of Sussex type, originally tiled.
The interior is unplasteted, thickly pointed rough stone contrasting with pale ashlar piers. The nave roof is open, the chancel ceiling pannelled and painted. It is thought that the church was built as a result of an expanding population in the area.

Sources include:
Haslam et al., Buildings of Wales (2009), p.600-1
www.churchplansonline.org
www.llgc.org.uk/ardd/pensaeri/arch010.htm

D.Leighton & N.Vousden, RCAHMW, 18 November 2014