Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARTHA'S CHURCH, MANOD

Site Details



NPRN 12071

Map Reference SH74SW

Grid Reference SH7053344629

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Ffestiniog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Martha's Church is visible on historic (1889, 1900-1901, 1914-1919) Ordnance Survey mapping. It is flanked by streets on its south and west sides, and a main road, Manod Road, on its east.

A school church was established at Tyddyn Gwyn in 1871, possibly the now demolished building nearby on Manod Road (NPRN 416065). This was perhaps the precursor to the Anglican church of St Martha’s which appears on the OS First Edition map of 1889.
St Martha's was the subject of a planning application in 1997 for change of use from church to storage. Subsequently it reverted to a place of worship for the Welsh Orthodox Church, as 'The Orthodox Church of All Saints of Wales'. Its current status is unknown.

Sources include:
Ordnance Survey, 1891, first edition 25inch
Ordnance Survey, 1891, second edition 25inch
Ordnance Survey, 1914-1919, third edition 25inch
http://www.churchplansonline.org
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/priests-struggle-filmed-tv-show-2917662

David Leighton & Nikki Vousden, RCAHMW, 7 November 2014