Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CAPEL RHYD-Y-BRIW, CHAPEL OF EASE, NOW RHYDYBRYW CHURCH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12301

Map Reference SN92NW

Grid Reference SN9199728980

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Maescar

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description This is a small plain chapel of ease in Is Clydach parish, set on the north bank of the Usk opposite Sennybridge. It is plainly a post-medieval building, presumably eighteenth or nineteenth century, and the earlier walling apparent in the north wall need not be of any antiquity. The chapel is depicted on the 1st edition OS County series (Brecknock. XXVI.12 1886) as 'Capel Rhyd-y-Briw' and is now shown as 'Rhydybriw Church'.
The chapel, dedication unknown, consists of an undivided nave and chancel with a south porch and north vestry. It has plain pointed windows, a single bell set in a slight projection of the west gable and an iron cross on the east gable. In 1970 the interior was plain and bare, with dark pews. It stands within a small roughly square graveyard containing a tomb of 1766 and stones of 1778 and 1769.

Source: NMR Site File

John Wiles 15.02.08

Digital Images

Archive Records