Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ROCK CHAPEL, GARREG FAWR OR OUR LADY OF SORROWS, NOW ST MARY'S CHURCH (RC)

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12453

Map Reference SJ07SE

Grid Reference SJ0818073733

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Tremeirchion

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Rock chapel is a small Catholic chapel set on the craggy hillock of Garreg Fawr. It is associated with St Beuno's seminary (NPRN 400800) and is set at the edge of its grounds (NPRN 266231).
The chapel was designed by the son of a successful church architect in 1866 and the first mass was celebrated in the same year. It is a small simple building executed in the Early English style. The east end is apsidal and a small spire rises from the west end. The side walls have butresses alternating with lancet windows.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (1409)

John Wiles 07.01.08

Associated Sites