Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SAINTS' PETER AND FRANCES CATHOLIC CHURCH, PLAS AVENUE, PRESTATYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12460

Map Reference SJ08SE

Grid Reference SJ0692382697

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Prestatyn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The Roman Catholic parish of Prestatyn was established in 1903 and the church completed also in 1903 to the free Gothic design of F J Kirby of Liverpool. The church was built at the expense of Sir Pyers Mostyn of Talacre. The contractor was Mr Thomas Jones of Prestatyn.

The church is a wide building in red brick and terracotta, with a red tile roof. The walling is in English Garden Wall bond. Some bricks of a bluer colour are used to create a diaper effect in the brickwork, and some miniature bricks are used in the window head details of the (north-)west elevation. A fine feature is the squatly designed entrance porch in arts and crafts half timbering on a high brickwork plinth.

The altar is of coloured and highly figured marble with a mosaic cross at centre, but is not original to the church (donated 1925). It was recently brought forward from the reredos. Before the altar are a lectern, seat and font, all recent, in figured marble with inlays. The reredos is original, carved in intricate late Gothic style, with niches for four saints and a central Throne of Sacrament above the veiled Tabernacle. A top stage of reredos finials appears to have been lost. The saints in the niches to the right are SS Peter and Frances to whom the church is dedicated, to the left are St Francis and the Virgin.

The west elevation is in two bays defined by buttresses, and has a three-light group in each bay under a tall relieving arch and a large seven-light cusped rose window above. This elevation faces the street and is more ornate in detail.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.