Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S WELSH CHURCH, WREXHAM

Site Details



NPRN 12493

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ3344250598

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Rhosddu

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description Dewi Sant, St David's Welsh Church was located on Rosddu Road and was built in 1889-90, to a design by architect Howel Davies of Wrexham, builder J.Gethin of Shrewsbury. The church has since been demolished but details of its architecture and history were recorded soon after it opened.
The church was consecrated on 28 July 1890. It was constructed of rock-faced stone and red tile roof. Its plan was cruciform but aisle-less, and comprised nave, chancel, three-sided apse, south organ chamber and vestry. An oak screen divided the chancel and nave. The roof was barrel shaped and the porch was partly internal, partly external.
The altar rail was supported on wrought iron standards (gilded). Other features included an octagonal oak pulpit with open tracery panels standing on a stone base; a brass eagle lectern; an octagonal font with plain panels; and furniture of varnished red deal.
Ty Dewi now stanfds on the site.
Sources:
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.302.
D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), p.306-7.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 7 October 2014

Archive Records