Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CHURCH, MAIN ROAD, RHOSROBIN

Site Details



NPRN 12496

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ3294752874

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Gwersyllt

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of St Peter, located on the west side of the B5425 at Rhosrobin, was opened on St Peter's Day 1898. Designed by J.H.Swainson of Wrexham, it is built of Ruabon brick and terra-cotta with angled diagonal buttresses. It comprises nave with south porch and chancel, with vestry on the south side, and at the angle so formed an octagonal tower with louvres on each side, battlemented and capped by a spire. Internally, the chancel is seated for the choir, and the rest of the furniture is of varnished red deal (1).
The church has been de-consecrated and the building is currently used as a veterinary surgery.
A Mission Church was apparently established at Rhosrobin in the period 1881-86 which may have been a precursor to St Peter's.

(1) D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.3 (1913), p.274.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 10 October 2014

Archive Records