Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY MISSION CHURCH, EGLWYSEG

Site Details



NPRN 12529

Map Reference SJ24NW

Grid Reference SJ2153345853

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llantysilio

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church was originally built as a school and chapel of ease in 1870-1. It stopped acting as a school when the school in nearby Pentredwr was built in 1908, but continued as a church.
It is located at a junction of minor roads at the foot of the escarpment of Mynydd Eglwyseg. Constructed of coursed, rock-faced stone with finer dressings under slate roofs, it consists of a single chamber with polygonal apse, east bellcote, north porch under a catslide roof and lean-to extension on the west gable wall. The church is lit through lancet windows. The last service here was held in 1985. The building is now converted to a dwelling.
DE/Ecclesiastical/SJ24NW.
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.159.
D.R.Thomas, History of the Diocese of St Asaph vol.2 (1913), p.290.
http://www.llangollenmuseum.org.uk/english/history/schools.htm
Google Street View, September 2009.

Chris Nicholas & David Leighton, RCAHMW, 29 September 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records