Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OUR LADY AND ST MICHAEL'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, PEN-Y-POUND ROAD, ABERGAVENNY

Site Details



NPRN 12866

Map Reference SO21SE

Grid Reference SO29691465

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Abergavenny

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Our Lady and St Michael's church and presbytery were built in 1858-60 and designed by J B Bucknall in a Decorated Gothic style using local purple sandstone with Bath stone quoins and dressings.

The church has a nave, north and south aisles with lean-to roofs and a chancel. The east gable faces the road and forms the right hand part of the main elevation. There is a plinth and stepped buttresses, a very large east window in the Decorated manner of 6-lights with an elaborately traceried head. The north and south elevations of the chancel are of two bays with further stepped buttresses and 2-light windows. The nave is taller and has six bays separated by strip buttresses to the clerestorey and stepped ones to the aisle. There are two-light windows with cusped heads and reticulated tracery above in the east walls of the aisles and smaller 2-light windows in the north aisle and Decorated ones with cusped lights and quatrefoils in clerestorey. The roof is very steeply pitched with coped gables. The west end has a 5-light Decorated window over a shafted doorway.

Internally, the church has a 6-bay nave. The arcades have slim quatrefoil columns with sharply pointed arches and there is a scissor truss roof. Elaborate wide and tall stone Decorated style reredos of 1883 were designed by Edmund Kirby of Liverpool and carved by A B Wall of Cheltenham. The fine east window has glass by Hardman. A chantry chapel was added to the south aisle in 1894 to the memory of the local 17th century martyrs and richly decorated with paintings, sculpture and glass, and includes panelling from the demolished Coldbrook House. The furniture of the church is all Victorian. The church also has an exceptionally fine collection of medieval and later vestments.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings description.

Digital Images

Archive Records