ST MARY THE VIRGIN, WHITECROSS STREET, MONMOUTH
Map Reference SO51SW
Grid Reference SO50891297
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site CHURCH, PRIORY
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description St Mary the Virgin Church was founded as an alien priory before 1086, with the current church being dedicated in 1101 or 1102. It was refounded as an independent priory in 1415, and then disolved in 1540. The church was largely rebuilt in the eighteenth century and again in 1881. The principal remaining medieval feature is the fourteenth century tower, which apparently incorporates some twelfth century features. The school buildings to the north (NPRN 31982) are thought to incorporate elements of the medieval prior's lodging.
J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 10 September 2004.