MARGAM ABBEY

Site Details



NPRN
132
Map Reference
SS88NW
Grid Reference
SS80188628
Unitary (Local) Authority
Neath, Port Talbot
Old County
Glamorgan
Community
Margam
Type of Site
ABBEY
Broad Class
Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period
Medieval

Site Description

The remains of the Cistercian abbey at Margam, founded around 1147 and dissolved in 1536, are thought to have occupied the site of an earlier monastic site. The western part of the nave of the monastic church is preserved, though much altered (NPRN 302498). The traces of the remainder of the church are apparent and other remains include the roughly 19m diameter dodecahedrol Early English chapter house (NPRN 308863), with some ruins of the dorter and rerdorter to the south (NPRN 308859).

RCAHMW, February 2011

    Share this page: -