ST JOHN'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, HAFOD, SWANSEA
Map Reference SS69SE
Grid Reference SS6572694659
Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea
Old County Glamorgan
Community Castle (Swansea)
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period 19th Century
Site Description St John's church is located on the west side of Odo Street, facing down Graham Street. A Vivian benefaction, it was built in 1878-80 in Perpendicular style to designs of architect H.Woodyer of Guildford. The church is constructed of snecked rubble facings with Bath stone dressings under slate roofs. Its plan consisted of twin aisles to nave and east end, with undivided chancel and nave, south organ chamber/vestry, south aisle, west bellcote and south entrance. To the west is evidence at the end of the south aisle for a tower that was never built.
The interior opened out into two equal seven-bay spaces separated by an arcade of octagonal piers carrying four-centred arches. Roofs are of arch-brace and collar-beam type, trusses twice as closely spaced over the chancel as over the nave. There are also horizontal metal ties, part of the original design. Fittings include stone font and pulpit, both designed by Woodyer. Stained glass included work by A.K.Nicholson (1928).
In 2001 the building was sold off for conversion to social housing but still retains an area for worship.
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.609-10.
RCAHMW, 19 May 2015