Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13606

Map Reference SS69SW

Grid Reference SS6488193483

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site CHURCH


Period 20th Century

Site Description St Jude's church is located on the south side of Terrace Road. A church existed on the site before 1899 when the Ordnance Survey 25-inch map portrays it but without dedication. This was the galvanised iron church obtained from St Gabriel's (NPRN 13614) and erected in 1899, opening in October of that year. It was later enlarged and re-opened in February 1896. From 1901 there was a move to have a permanent structure built and construction commenced in 1904 to designs of architect E.M.Bruce Vaughan. The hall was finished in 1905-6 and the church, on top of the hall, built in 1913-15. It is constructed of rock-faced sandstone with Bath stone dressings including banding, and slate roofs with crucifix finials. Built in the Early English style the church consists of clerestoried nave and chancel in one, lean-to north aisle, gabled south aisle and chapel, north transept and lean-to north chapel, which pinch between them a slim octagonal bell-turret, and a gabled north-west porch.
Inside, the arcades are conventional with circular piers and double-chamfered arches. Stained glass includes works by C.Powell (1920) and Celtic Studios (1949).

Cadw Listing description
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.585.
OS County Series 25-inch maps: sheet Glamorgan XXIV.5, edition of 1899.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 20 February 2015

Archive Records