Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SALEM CALVINISIC METHODIST CHAPEL; ST PHILIP EVANS CATHOLIC CHURCH, SALEM ROAD, CWMAFON,

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13670

Map Reference SS79SE

Grid Reference SS78809273

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Aberavon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Salem Methodist Chapel was built in 1901 in the Sub-Classical style of the gable entry type. The front facade is of coursed rock faced stone with ashlar dressings to the door and window openings. The centrally placed door has a heavy stone architrave decorated with carved corbels supporting a triangular pediment. This is flanked by two tall, round-headed windows with keystones carved in the same style as the corbels and mounted with minature triangular pediments. In the centre of the gable are two flat headed windows seperated by an integral carved column with foliate decoration, and toppped by another triangular pediment.

RCAHMW January 2012

From 1974 the chapel has been in use as St Philip Evans Catholic church.

Archive Records