Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, BRIDGEND

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13794

Map Reference SS97NW

Grid Reference SS9052479443

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Bridgend

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Mary's church is located on the south side of Merthyr Mawr Road (North), with churchyard on its east, set in the Nolton district of the town. It was built, in a thirteenth-century style, in 1885-7 to designs of architect John Pritchard, but completed by Frederick Kempson. It is constructed of bull-nosed rubble masonry with freestone dressings under slate roofs with corbelled and coursed eaves. Its plan is cruciform and comprises clerestoried nave with lean-to aisles, west gable entrance, chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber, four-stage north-west tower and later polygonal spire with weathervane to north-west.
The ashlar interior is of two-storeys with wagon roofs, boarded over the sanctuary. Spaciousness is created by combining wide arches with slender piers and shafts, the aisled nave and chancel flowing together with a continuous shafted arcade in front of the clerestory windows, with little interruption from the chancel arch. The cylindrical nave piers are of Dean Forest stone, the shafts of pink sandstone. Fittings include small octagonal font (of 1632?), Reredos by Coates Carter in fifteenth-century Netherlandish style (1921), and floor tiles by Godwin and Son of Hereford. A full set of stained glass includes works by Dixon (c.1887), Mayer & Co (c.1887), and Kempe & Co (1921).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.159.

RCAHMW, 1 May 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites