Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST FAGANS OLD RECTORY

Site Details



NPRN 140

Map Reference ST17NW

Grid Reference ST12147741

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community St Fagans

Type of Site RECTORY

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Fagans Rectory is an important Victorian house designed by Prichard and Seddon, possibly the finest of their many rectories, and built 1858-9. It is constructed of coursed squared lias with Bath stone dressings, and steep roofs of Welsh slate with three tall chimney stacks, each with a band of open arcading just below the cap. It is a house of two storeys and attic designed in an elaborately detailed French medieval character.

Window lights on both attic and first floors are separated by slender columns with capitals and with cinquefoil panelling between the storeys; the attic window in eastern bay projects forward from inside the tall truncated pyramidal roof. There is a lean-to veranda across the ground floor supported by stone columns with capitals. At the west end there is a tower bay with a hipped slate roof.

The southern bay of the east elevation has a tall truncated pyramidal roof. At the east end, there is aa gabled porch with pointed arch of dressed stone, finial and buttresses. The building remained the Rectory until c.1975.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records