Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH, ST PETER'S STREET, ROATH, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 14261

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1897377074

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Plasnewydd

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Peter's Catholic church was built in 1861 by C. F. Hansom of Bristol in Geometrical style. Pennant sandstone with bands and dressings of Bath stone and alternative vousoirs of pink Radyr stone. It has cross-gabled aisles and a gabled polygonal apse. The six-bay nave has octagonal piers. The roof has arch and scissor bracing. The porch tower is of 1884 by J. J. Hurley and the stained glass in the sanctuary is by Mayer & Co. in 1883. Some nave windows are by Hardman others by Saunders.

There is a Gothic presbytery by W. P. James built in 1872.

Ref: Glamorgan: (Mid Glamorgan, South Glamorgan and West Glamorgan), by John Newman, Stephen R. Hughes, Anthony Ward, 1995. Page 302.